Bad breath or medically referred to as Halitosis is a common dental condition. Foul smelling breath is normal when waking up, after eating strong smelling foods, smoking, drinking too much alcohol, and fasting. But if it is persistent, then it may indicate a dental condition that needs to be taken care of immediately.
Halitosis affects a person psychologically since they would rather avoid talking or smiling at other people than embarrass themselves. The condition is reversible as long as the root cause is properly identified for it to be treated.
We at Modern Day Smiles offers Halitosis treatment to help patients maintain the health and freshness of their mouths for them to stay confident and happy with an excellent overall dental health.
Common causes of Halitosis
- Gum disease
- Poor oral hygiene
- Defective dental prostheses
- Dry mouth
- Bad habits (excessive alcohol drinking and smoking)
Tips for the Prevention of Halitosis
- Practice proper dental hygiene daily. Brush the teeth twice a day using Fluoride toothpaste, flossing at least once a day, and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash. It is an essential practice to keep the mouth clean and prevent the build-up of bacterias. It is advisable to brush the teeth in the morning to remove the bacterias that accumulated in the mouth during sleep. The other one is at night to remove the bacteria accumulations and food debris during the day.
- When brushing the teeth make sure to include the tongue to remove any remnants stuck in between the folds or taste buds. It is to make sure that the mouth is thoroughly cleaned to avoid any breakdowns that can cause bad breath.
- Prevent dry mouth by staying hydrated for the sufficient production of saliva. Saliva is highly essential since it helps in naturally cleaning the surfaces of the mouth to remove stuck food particles. Drink plenty of water, chew on sugarless gum, or eat fruits and vegetables rich in water.
- Stop bad habits such as excessive alcohol drinking and cigarette smoking. Not only do these products have harmful substances that are bad for the health, but they can also cause the mouth to dry and tooth to be discolored. Its chemicals can even cause gum disease that is a culprit for the foul odor on the mouth and other dental complications.
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleaning is recommended every six months to keep track of the overall dental health status. If there are any developing complications, preventive measures can be performed to keep it under control. Professional cleanings can help keep the freshness of the mouth by providing a better clean especially to the areas that are hard to reach.
Keep your mouth clean and healthy to avoid any types of dental complications that can compromise the health of the overall dental health. Practice good dental habits to keep the breath fresh and for a beautiful and healthy smile.
Feel confident, fresh, and healthy with your teeth! Modern Day Smiles is happy to be of service to our patients for all their dental care needs including Halitosis Treatment in Tampa, FL. We are located at 7002 Sheldon Road, Tampa, FL 33615.