One of the many reasons why people seek out dental treatments is because of bad breath. Chronic Bad breath is not just the regular morning breath people experience. It is an unpleasant smell which may originate from the throat, the tonsils, and the tongue. It can occur on occasion or can be a chronic condition; nonetheless, bad breath must be treated right away. Modern Day Smiles is here to help patients eliminate chronic bad breath and have long-lasting, fresh breath all day long.
Bad Breath Facts you may not know about
- Hippocrates, a Greek physician and often called as the father of western medicine, devised a mouth rinse made of herbs and wine to sweeten bad breath.
- Halitosis, commonly known as chronic bad breath, came from the Latin word “halitus” which means exhalation and the Greek word “osis” meaning, a condition or disease-causing process.
- People nearly spend billions of dollar a year on gums, mints, and mouthwashes to freshen their breath.
- Dry mouth or xerostomia is a medical condition that can cause bad breath. The disease affects nearly millions of people which is a result o smoking, alcohol drinking, and sometimes and after effect of consuming certain medications.
- Saliva is necessary to clean the mouth and prevent bad breath. Saliva acts as the natural mouth cleanser. Reduced saliva flow affects the removal of bacteria and the leftover food particles left in between the teeth and the gums which causes plaque to build up.
- Bacterial growth in the mouth is the primary determinant of bad breath. These bacteria are present to everyone in about 25% of the population.
- The tongue is the most common location to house bacteria reproduction. The bacteria which cause bad breath are relatively sheltered at the back of the tongue and feed on food debris, dead skin cells, and post nasal drip. They produce sulfur compounds (VSCs), also found in decaying animals or vegetables, which creates and releases a very unpleasant smell such as a rotten egg.
- When people are on a diet to lose weight or when they are starving, the body begins to burn their fats causing the breath to develop the smell of ketones. The smell is similar to that of acetone or the nail polish remover. When people do not eat or drink, the coating on the tongue increase which makes the VSCs or the sulfuric compound become more prominent.
- Periodontal disease and tooth decay can often cause bad breath. Whether or not these are the reason for bad breath, patients have to seek for dental treatment to eliminate such dental problems immediately.
- Bad breath caused by food is worst. The food people eat is the biggest contributor to the flare-ups of bad breath in the mouth and are often the most foul-smelling bad breath of all which lasts long. Major food breath enemies are garlic, onions, and sugary treats which feeds the bacteria in the mouth.
Halitosis treatment provides an ideal solution for patients who want to have longer lasting fresh breath. But together with proper and good oral hygiene, patients can maintain and improve their overall dental health.
Prevent and treat chronic bad breath with Halitosis Treatment in Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL. Contact us to Book an appointment with Modern Day Smiles. We’ll make sure that you’ll have a comfortable and fun dental experience!