Many adults overlook the importance of good oral hygiene, however, the consequences that come with ignoring the facts can be damaging. Sadly, few are aware of the lifestyle choices they can take towards better dental health, but once educated, fast improvement can be seen.
What is Oral Hygiene?
Oral hygiene and health go hand in hand, when one is in good condition, usually so is the other. But you may be wondering, what exactly is oral hygiene? Briefly stated, it is the practice of keeping one’s mouth clean and free of disease along with other problems. There are many simple ways to care for your oral hygiene, these can include:
- Brushing your teeth: It is advised that individuals brush their teeth twice per day in the morning and evening.
- Flossing: Unfortunately brushing alone doesn’t remove everything, flossing helps to remove plaque and food stuck between the teeth.
- Interdental brushes: These work much like flossing except are known to be equally, if not more effective.
How Important is Oral Hygiene?
Forgetting to care for your teeth and gums can lead to all kinds of issues. Oftentimes these issues stem from being poorly educated about proper hygiene practices. Tooth decay is the most common global disease which often results from trapped food in the teeth which are not properly being brushed. Other issues like gum disease, tooth loss, and cavities also occur from not knowing the basics of oral hygiene.
Whilst there is no one-stop solution to better oral hygiene; it’s recommended individuals pay close attention to how their habits can influence their oral health. Opting for healthier options can not only improve your mood and all-round health, but your dental health can also flourish as a result.
Top Tips for Better Oral Hygiene
When it comes to good oral hygiene, there are many tips our team at Modern Day Smiles can provide. We speak with a variety of patients on how to develop an oral hygiene routine, which for many consists of simple lifestyle choices. Here are a few of our top tips:
- Eat Healthy: It may sound simple, but a poor diet can be a big contributor to dental issues and eating a well-balanced diet works as a form of prevention against common dental problems. Sugar, for example, is commonly associated with dental cavities and can be particularly bad for teeth.
- Establish a tooth care routine: For most people, this will consist of brushing your teeth twice per day and flossing once per day. Consistency is key with your routine and executing on it daily will provide the best results over time.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking can stain and damage teeth, resulting in an unhealthy look and increased risk of certain dental infections.
- Regular dental check-ups: Seeing your dentist regularly is key to knowing where you can improve with your oral hygiene. Our trusted dentists in Tampa Florida happily accommodate individuals for regular check-ups.
Many health risks can result from ignoring the importance of effective oral hygiene. Gum disease, tooth decay, cavities and more are a result of ignoring the simple facts and continuing bad habits. Take time to analyze your current habits and see whether any may be harming your oral health. After which you will know with certainty what’s both good and bad for your oral health.
How Can Treatment Help me?
The best solution for an oral hygiene issue is usually not the same for everyone, although lifestyle changes can significantly reduce your chance of developing an issue, for some the damage is already done. Finding the right solution is central to reap the benefits of oral hygiene which is why we work closely with patients to ensure everyone is given the necessary treatment required. Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Restorative Dentistry: This is designed for individuals with chipped or missing teeth who are in need of a procedure to bring their smile back to normal.
- Fillings: After a cavity has been removed, a filling may be the perfect solution. The team at Modern Day Smiles uses a natural material for fillings so your filled tooth won’t stand out.
- Root Canal: A root canal is a perfect way to prevent a tooth from decaying. Once an infection is detected, a root canal is placed to clean it out in order to prevent the infection from spreading into other areas of the mouth.
- Dentures: These are ideal when an arch or larger row of teeth is missing and act as a tooth or set of teeth. Dentures are often easy to remove, and implant-supported dentures are often stronger and more reliable than those held in place with glue.
- Dental bridges: A dental bridge is a good option for those with more than one tooth missing in an arch. Bridges are often attached to dental crowns placed over adjacent teeth or to crowns placed over implants. They are often also fixed meaning you don’t need to take them out to care for them.
- Dental Implants: Implants are inserted into the jaw where they replace a missing tooth’s root and act as an anchor for a dental crown or other restoration. These are often seen as the strongest and most reliable tooth replacement option.
Dental Hygiene Treatment
When it comes to treatment, our dentists in Tampa and St. Petersburg office can assist. We take pride in being able to show patients how to maintain oral hygiene and proper oral care. Individuals wishing to find out more about how we can help should get in touch with our expert team at Modern Day Smiles. Regular check-ups can prove highly beneficial for those looking to avoid any dental issues and our dentists can accommodate patients with a variety of services.